Much like quarantine, we are OVER IT with cooking the same old recipes. As you know, us Branchers wear multiple hats… occasionally even a chef hat! Discover our recipes in the latest Red Branch Media Quarantine Cookbook.
ERIC: JOHNNY’S QUESO BLANCO
454 grams sliced white American cheese (such as Land O’Lakes), coarsely chopped
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (128 gram) can of chopped green chiles, drained
170 grams fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed (see Tip)
Tortilla chips for serving
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the cheese, milk, butter, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Fill a medium saucepan with five centimeters of water. Bring the water to a gentle simmer. Place the bowl with the cheese mixture on top of the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is melted, smooth, and gently bubbling; five to seven minutes. Stir in the chiles and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the chorizo in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon and breaking up the sausage into small pieces, until the fat is rendered and the chorizo is really crispy; about four minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the queso to a serving bowl. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the chorizo from the skillet and sprinkle it over the queso. Serve the queso hot, with tortilla chips for dipping.
Be sure to purchase fresh chorizo (i.e., the Mexican-type version) for this recipe, not the dry-cured and/or smoked Spanish type. It’s found in many supermarkets — Wellshire Farms makes one — as well as in Latin and gourmet markets.
This was taken from Antoni Porowski’s cookbook, Antoni in the Kitchen.Serious question…who doesn’t like queso? No one that’s who! Check out @erockfoutch’s recipe in queso emergency! Click To Tweet
ALISON’S ABSOLUTE EASIEST PIÑA COLADA
3 cups frozen pineapple chunks
⅔ cup coconut cream (coconut milk works too, but cream is richer)
⅓ cup white rum
Optional: maraschino cherries or pineapple wedge for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend! Add water if it ends up too thick.
Kick back & relax as if you put a lot of work into it.
ANNA’S: GZ’S ULTIMATE BLT
Eight 3/4-inch-thick slices heirloom tomato
1 teaspoon fleur de sel sea salt, plus more for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 slices Applewood smoked bacon, cut 1/4-inch thick from slab bacon
1/2 cup julienne strips red onion
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Four 1/2-inch-thick slices country bread, toasted
1 avocado, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 cups butter lettuce leaves
2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
PREPARATION & ASSEMBLY
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the tomato slices on a tray or large plate. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and black pepper. Drizzle the vinegar and oil over the tomatoes. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Lay the bacon on a baking sheet and season with a generous amount of black pepper. Brush some of the juices from the seasoned tomatoes onto the bacon and top with the red onions. Roast the bacon until it is golden brown and the fat has rendered, about 20 minutes.
- Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise on each slice of country toast. Top each with 3 slices of bacon and the onions. Reserve the bacon drippings. Season the avocado with salt and pepper, and place on top of the bacon. Follow with 2 marinated tomato slices on each sandwich.
- In a separate bowl, lightly toss the lettuce and tarragon with a small amount of the drippings from the bacon and season as needed with salt and pepper. Top the sandwiches with the salad and serve warm.
HANNAH’S: JUNEBUG’S SPAGHETTI SAUCE
Olive oil – enough to coat the pan
2 cloves garlic – chopped
1/2 medium-size onion – chopped
3 6oz cans tomato paste
3 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons of sugar
Meatballs – if you want
- Saute onion and garlic in oil
- Add tomato paste and water and whisk it
- Add salt, oregano, rosemary, basil, pepper, and bay leaves
- Simmer on low for 2 hours
- Add sugar to the sauce and stir it in
- Put the sauce on top of your favorite shape of noodles
- Add meatballs if you want
- Sprinkle on parmesan cheese
- Eat it
Check out our COVID-19 Swipe File with important resources, including The Beginner’s Survival Guide to Working from Home and Virtual Company Culture Building.